Since the beginning of the year, I have been asked by several different people what is on my bucket list.
I didn’t have one.
When I think of Bucket Lists, I think of things like jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and wrestling alligators. I am not that kind of person.
On one of our date nights recently, I asked Mr. R to help me think of things I wanted to do. I learned something about myself–most of the things I want to “do” are actually things I want to learn. I guess I place more importance on “learning” things than “doing” things or visiting places …although there is some of that sprinkled in as well.
Here is my on-going official Bucket List in no particular order:
- Visit Santorini Island, Greece.
- Hire a professional genealogist to trace the biological ancestry of my children.
Learn to surf in Hawaii.Summer 2006.
- Take the boys (when they are teenagers) to work in orphanages in Africa and Mexico.
- See E.T. all the way through. (Not emotionally ready for that yet. Still scared of E.T.)
- Go on an architectural photo tour trip with Kim and Leisha. (DC? Europe?)
- Buy a house that I love.
Tour the White House.Winter 1995 Belly dance.December 2005
- Have a garden.
- Be a foster parent.
- Start a fire without matches and without flint/steel.
- Have an arcade style Mrs. PacMan game in my basement.
- Tour the Neuschwanstein Castle.
Act in a play.The King and I 1997, Les Mis in Concert 1998
- Take the Disney cruise as a family before the boys leave on their missions.
See O.January 14, 2012
- Go to BlogHer
- Write a book.
- Write a children’s book.
- Write a book with my mom.
Have a craft room.January 2012
- Go on vacation with my kids’ birth mothers.
Be in the Hill Cumorah Pageant.Summer 1998
- Have my whole family participate in the Hill Cumorah Pageant.
- Learn how to play all the hymns and children’s hymns on the piano.
Serve a mission.2001-2002
- Serve some missions with Josh.
Help with a Habitat for Humanity build.October 29, 2011
- Get a nice family photo taken for my parents where I don’t have to set the timer and run into the photo.
- Run a marathon.
Take a helicopter ride.December 2005
- Go inside a real igloo.
- Fill up my National Parks Passport.
- Teach my kids to ski.
Take photography lessons.2007
- Get a beach cruiser bike. (Had one in college named Stella that I miss dearly.)
- Reupholster a wingback chair.
Learn to fly fish.Summer 2004
- Learn to sew on my own sewing machine.
Visit ancient Mayan ruins.Summer 2004, January 2010
- Learn to make bread …possibly with a bread maker.
- Fit into my “skinny jeans” again.
Take my kids to Disneyland.Summer 2008, January 18, 2012
- Get up on one water ski.
Take a sailboat ride on the Nantucket Sound.August 2006
- Catch fireflies with my kids.
- Take a sleeper train ride to a BYU @ Notre Dame football game.
- Take gun shooting classes.
Make a book about my grandfather’s service in WWII including the photos he took.November 2011
- Be in the temple with all my brothers, their wives and my parents.
- Learn Illustrator.
- Win a medal or tiara in something/anything and then wear it around the house while doing housework.
- Read all the Harry Potter books.
- Read all the Harry Potter books aloud to my kids.
Read Les Misérables.1994 See Les Misérables on Broadway.1997
- Take my mom to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.
- Learn to make my Grandma Dee Dee’s rolls.
- Learn to make my Grandma Dee Dee’s cinnamon rolls.
- Take a trip with my college roommates.
Graduate from college. 2003 Teach elementary school.2003-2007 Become a mother.2007, 2008
- Run in a Ragnar Race.
- Take an educational trip to The Holy Land.
Take singing lessons and perform in front of people.1997-1998
- Interview my mom and write her life story.
- Interview my dad and write his life story.
Go salmon fishing in Alaska.Summer 2000
- Learn the constellations.
- Learn calligraphy.